Friday, May 21, 2010

Book Review #1

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals
Michael Pollan


He had me at corn. I love corn. It is one of my favorite things to eat... or at least it was. After reading this book, I have learned that I am little more than a walking talking overly processed corn chip. Crazy right?

If you have ever been curious about what goes into the foods you eat and how they arrive from the farm to the supermarket in those pretty little packages, this book is for you.

I was surprised at how compelling it actually was. I found myself looking at my clock wondering, what is wrong with you, it is 1:37am, you have to be at work in 6 hours and you can't even put down this damn book about corn... really?... maybe just one more chapter.

Pollan takes you on a journey through the American Heartland, from the bowels of industrial food processing, to the green pastures of middle America and ultimately your dining table. He weaves in thoughts and practices of actual farmers along the way forcing you to examine your own diet and recognize that the items you consume reflect not only who you are, but who we are as a nation of corn eaters.