Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Music



Music has an amazing characteristic; it can create a place. I have experienced this phenomena more than once. I have been sitting at my desk, listening to music and out of no where, a particular lyric mixed with a specific chord will whisk me away to a magical place in my mind. It only lasts for a flash. As though I was teleported there for an instant, and then I am back, sitting at my desk, typing, and looking around to see if anyone else noticed.

The places vary, and I never have the same experience twice. It has been a place where I feel loved. I am not currently in a relationship, but sometimes in these flashes, it feels like I am. Maybe it is revisiting a place where I felt content and happy in a past relationship. Once in a while it is a dark place where I feel cold and lonely. And many times I have felt more than just feelings, but landscapes lush and green with familiar smells.

I am not sure what causes this in me, and it doesn’t happen everyday or every time I am listening to music. Just sometimes and when it does I appreciate the strength of my mind and the power of the art, which although not tangible for the most part, at times can reach out and take hold of me as if it were sitting right next to me.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I love that music has that power! It's almost like a book for me. I too have experienced the phenomena of teleportation through music and though I don't always love the feelings that occur, I do appreciate the experience.